Monday, June 9, 2008

Indiana Jones and a Total Letdown.


I watched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull this weekend. I was really excited as the last weekend when I tried to go for the movie, it was sold out and this of course raised my expectations. As someone who grew up watching the first 3 Indy movies over and over again, I was totally thrilled and excited to be able to re-live a brand new adventure.

.....Boy, did it turn out to be a total letdown.

I must say i am still shocked to think that all that Steven Spielberg and George Lucas could come up with such a shallow story...and they took 19 years for this?? Don’t get me wrong, I am a big fan, but one cannot help thinking that after a classic like The Last Crusade (Which i still watch to date every 4-5 months), all they came up with was a cockamamie story involving aliens and the lost golden city of El Dorado. However, kudos to Harrison Ford who has proved he can still deliver even after almost 2 decades since he donned the famous hat. But there is not much he can do if the story is so weak. As for the Villain....Yawn!!!

The movie is watchable but provides no real excitement. Though there are some fun moments and chases, it never really got me hooked like the first 3 movies did. It was a weak movie strung together with some good sequences.. That’s the best way I can put it. For god's sake even Nicholas Cage's National Treasure kept me more engrossed. I hope the next time (If there is one), George Lucas finds something more interesting for Indy to go after. Sure the movie will be a money spinner, but I am keeping my DVD collection limited to the first 3 Indy movies for now.

Verdict: Sub-Standard but a total letdown for a Classic.

No comments: